Monday, September 21, 2009

Backpacking at 4 months Pregnant


. . . Is still fun, but it's a little more tiring than usual! We went on a "mild" overnighter, only 4 1/2 miles each way, and 700 feet of elevation. Still at 8000 feet of elevation, it was pretty darn hard to breathe in the first place. "I have more blood in my body to oxygenate, and not enough oxygen!" I complained to Peter at one point. But in general there was little complaining. It was beautiful up there in the Sierras, and Emigrant Lake, our destination, was nearly empty of people. We met a sweet couple and their yellow lab, and that was it for fellow campers.

It got down to about 40 degrees at night, with winds around 45 to 50 mph whipping across the granite shelf where we were camped out. Poor little Haiko shivered until Peter put a fleece vest on him. I woke up twice in the night to drink about 40 ounces of water. It was so dry, and I wasn't the only one feeling it: the pups drank an entire pot of water as well at about 3 a.m.

I have another naked picture of Peter diving into Emigrant Lake, but I am restraining myself from using it, to save my mother from further eyeball anguish. I think it's probably hard to see so many pictures of a son-in-law naked in nature.

In general, my diabetes behaved itself. I ended up dialing my basal rate down to 12% while backpacking. Dr. Maier had advised me to limit my pack's weight to 30 pounds at the most, so I enjoyed a relatively light pack.
Still, I was dang tired. Also, it's getting harder to figure out where to situate my waist strap, given my belly and the infusion set for my insulin pump on said belly.

I would definitely recommend a "mild" backpacking trip for fellow pregnant ladies, at least at this point in my second trimester. There's some talk about some hut-to-hut snowshoeing or skiing, but we may have to see how I feel at that point in December . . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment