Tuesday, January 26, 2010

My Baby, My Gigantasaurus


This is how you look when you find out that your 34-week baby is already nearly 8 pounds (and yes, this is how I dress now that I work from home, I apologize).

The little dude is now renamed the Gigantasaurus, given yesterday's NST and dr's appointment, where Dr. Maier did the ultrasound guesstimate on dude's height and weight. Right now he's measuring in at 37 weeks typical growth, even though he is only 34 weeks along. The estimated weight is 7 lb 13 oz, and the length is 21 inches. Yikes. There is a 15% error rate on these tests, so he could be 6 lbs 6 oz, or he could be bigger than the estimate. Yikes. Either way, this explains why I'm feeling so damn awkward. Since he went head down, my pelvic floor feels . . . strained, to put it politely. I can't imagine going on an 8 mile hike now. I am just slow, and sometimes it hurts.

So, we always knew that he was going to be a big guy, right? I mean, I'm a Type 1 diabetic, and even though I've had great control, diabetics still tend to have bigger babies. Add that to the fact that I was 10 pounds, my mom was around 10 pounds, and my sister was 10 1/2, and you can see why I'm concerned. I just don't want to have an 11 pound or up baby. I really don't. I want to have a natural birth, and I'd really like to avoid a c-section if at all possible, and my dr told me that when diabetics start to get to 10 pounds or so, they are pressured to have a c-section. Excuse my french, but fuck that. As Peter said, "They can pressure you all they want, but they can't make you do anything." Of course, I will absolutely have a c-section if it's a medical emergency, but not before that. Nickie already told me I have an amazingly roomy pelvis, and my mom told me that she hasn't noticed a difference giving birth to a 10 1/2 pounder vs. a 5 1/2 pounder (Grace and Forrest, the twins, were 5 1/2 and 6 1/2 pounds). So, those are two encouraging points.

And I know that all of the work I've been doing — hiking, pilates, acupuncture, yoga, swimming, good diet — will absolutely pay off after his birth even if I do have to have a c-section. It'll all work out. The good news is that everything with Gigantasaurus looks fabulous. He is firmly head down, he is kicking up a storm, and the first NST test showed him to be in awesome health, heartwise. Interestingly, I have gained zero weight in the past month, which means that while my limbs are looking a little thinner, my belly is looking hella big. Overall I've gained less than 30 pounds thus far, which I think is pretty good, weight wise, for the pregnancy.

I just need him to come out sooner than later. I've been telling Gigantasaurus that 37 to 38 weeks is a good time for him to come, since right now he could be averaging 1/2 a pound a week. That means he could be potentially close to or over 11 pounds if he goes to full term.

So, I'm going to probably start acupuncture inductions now at 36 weeks, if Meg, my acupuncturist, will allow it. And I'm feeling a little freaked out about getting everything done a few weeks sooner. We still need a carseat. We need to set up the nursery. I need to sew a diaper changing station for the top of the dresser, potentially refinish a dresser, sew a sheet for the cradle, see about getting a new bed frame made (that the dogs can fit beneath, space, space, space!) . . . still work 40 hours a week, and go to the clinic 2 to 3 times a week for NSTs and Dr. appointments, besides the acupuncture, swimming, pilates, dog duties, house duties, diabetes management, etc. Oy. And I know it's just going to get more hectic once Gigantasaurus arrives.

We're going to try to do a few fun things before babe arrives, including going to Commis for dinner, perhaps seeing Phedre at ACT, going to Davies to the orchestra . . . just a few things that will be hard to do with the baby, once he gets here.

Usually I eat eggs in the morning, but sometimes I have a hankering for something a little sweeter. So, since I'm on a low-carb diet, I thought I'd share this delicious low-carb smoothie recipe with any of you who need a quick yummy breakfast drink.

1/2 cup (5.5 g) plain organic yogurt
1/2 cup (6.5 g) frozen strawberries
1 scoop (2 g) low-carb vanilla protein powder
1 pkg stevia
a dash of vanilla

whir it all up and then transport it in an old cream jar on your way to walk the dogs in the rain!

2 comments:

  1. Hey lady! Ugh! That sounds hella stressful! Especially the prepping part. Is there any way someone could come in and help you prep? The carseat thing, too- can someone send over one they don't use anymore just in case? i wish i still had my old stuff!

    You rock for only gaining 30 pounds. Don't worry too much about the c-section business. I hated it, as you know, but Angelo was healthy and so was I, and that's what will count.

    I love that recipe! Mmm.

    Hang in there!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are doing a really great job! Hang in there, you're almost done! The last few weeks aren't easy, but if I can get through them, I know you can! Especially with all the exercise you've been doing.

    My little guy was 10 lbs 7 oz when he was born and now at 3 months 1 week he is 19 lbs 8 oz! The doctor can't believe how big he is and how he can sit up!

    The dreaded C-section wasn't as bad as I thought it would be to be honest. I was scared, but they took good care of us both and seeing my chubby little guy come out healthy made it all worth it. I had planned drug free childbirth, but learned that in the end our plans tend to go out the window! (my c-section was done because of pre-eclampsia)

    Everything you've done so far to keep you and the baby healthy will help you bounce back after the birth pretty quick too.

    ReplyDelete