Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Wow. I am SPEECHLESS.

Well, not really. I sent a totally ridiculous email to my doctor with the subject line DUDE. The email was in all caps and basically ecstatic. Then I apologized, kind of, for being so over the top.

The reason? This.


My medical team was pleased when my A1C was 6.7. It was excited when my A1C then dropped to 6.4. But 5.1?! That is in the low range for normal non-diabetics. That is some crazy shit. I have never in my life had an A1C this low.

Studies point to a near-complete reduction or elimination of diabetic complications if an A1C of 8% or below is maintained. I haven't had an A1C over 8 in years and years, but they have mostly hovered in the 7s and 6s. But now? Now I want to maintain this freaking magical number for the rest of my life. Yes, it has required a lot of work and extra bloodsugar testing. But is is all completely worth it.

It's all completely worth it for my own health, and the health of this cutie little babe that soon will be making an appearance in the world.

4 comments:

  1. That's awesome!!! Great job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats! So happy for you!
    You're such an inspiration to those of us trying to live healthy with the diabetes who aren't preggo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like this, Thumbs up! ...oh wait, that's facebook... naw, it works here too...and, YIPPEE HOORAY ELKA! your committed dedication is the magic-maker. Keep it up! ...uh, I mean, keep that A1C down!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your blog inspires me to know that I will be able to have a safe and healthy pregnancy even with my T1! Today is my 1year pump anniversary and i've had some rough times but reading this makes me feel like I can do it! Just need to make some basal checks and make some adjustments! Congrats on your beautiful baby boy!

    ReplyDelete